Sunday 31 March 2013

Winter in Winnipeg 2013

It was a long, cold and snowy winter in Winnipeg.  With the temperature dipping down to below -40 degrees Celsius, it was some of the coldest weather that I've ever experienced in my 20+ years in Canada.  It was cold enough for snow sculptures and skating along the Red and Assiniboine Rivers.

Even though I didn't get to try the pop-up restaurant on the river, I was able to visit the restaurant owned by one of the chefs at Deer + Almond.  The tapas style dishes there were quite impressive.
We ordered the sultry prawns, pork belly, pea risotto, and the black cod.  I was surprised at the quality of the food and the freshness of the ingredients.  I would definitely go back to this restaurant.



We also tried out Unburger, which is a cool gourmet burger joint in Osbourne Village.  I ordered the Average Joseph on a whole wheat bun and we tried both the sweet potato and regular potato fries.  My coworkers weren't very impressed with the burgers, but I thought they were pretty good considering there aren't very many gourmet burger joints in town.  It's a good option if you are looking for a nice burger to satisfy your craving.

Spring is finally here.  The forecast for next week is still showing -18 degrees Celsius, but I'm hopeful that the snow will soon melt and we may see some flooding that the locals have been telling me about.

Deer + Almond on Urbanspoon Unburger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment